In library school, we all proclaimed that we were absolutely opposed to censorship. "Not in my library," we all said. And yet, in my library today, there is a little room, with a locked yellow cage door, that houses our special collection: "SRX" (or "SR X" or "SR XX" depending on who was cataloging that year.)
Here are shelved such classics as The Kinsey Report, The Eagle's Gift by Carlos Castaneda (even though there is another copy in the open non-fiction section), Smut, The Kama Sutra, and a book from 1980 about The Pittsburgh Steelers. I must add that there are also a few rare books and two gorgeous art books by Georgia O'Keefe. (The O'Keefe books, though, are they there because they are valuable or because they are sexual?)
My plan is to start asking questions. There are several staff members who have been at this library for 30 years. Surely, they will know the logic and justification for such an off-limits collection.
I plan to photo-document each item, with my theory ( or the official one, if available) of its inclusion.
If my library has a behind-the-desk collection, I must assume that other libraries in my district will also have their off-limits section. So, I will try to visit as many libraries as I can to discover the prevalence of this invisible censorship.
It seems like an antiquated practice, but there may be a credible logic. I will try to keep an open mind.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment